Home

About Us
Find Us
Contact Us

What's On

Services

soul space

Prayer and
Bible Study


Prayer Diary

Pilgrim Way

Healing Ministry

Christian Resources

Information for Visitors

OASIS

Photo Album

St Cuthbert
Celtic Way

The Church
The Organ
Stained Glass

History

Church Lettings
Weddings


Society of Friends

Family History Searches

Home



Pages About St Cuthbert's Church :
19th Century


| Art & Architecture | Church Yard | Church Organ | Memorial Chapel | History |  


Pages About St Cuthbert's History

| up to 15th C | 16th C | 17th C | 18th C | 19th C | 20th C |  


Other Related Pages

| Cuthbert The Saint | Stained Glass | Photo Album |  



Cuthbert cross


St Cuthbert's History


1822

Parish population in the southern division was recorded as 20,250 and half of them had no place of worship. The northern division situation was similar and so the Kirk Session resolved to build two more Chapels of Ease.  

1823

Stockbridge Chapel opened. This later became part of Kirk O’ Field.  

1824

Hope Park Chapel in Clerk Street opened. This is now the Queen’s Hall.  

1831

An existing Chapel in Gardiner’s Crescent bought for £2,500. It was named St David’s out of respect for Dr David Dickson, the senior Minister at St Cuthbert’s, and it served a local population of 2000. As the number of parish residents increased, many new churches were formed as Chapels of Ease.  

1837

- The Charity Work-house now had 539 people working at various trades. There was a school attached for nearly 200 pauper children and also a sewing school. Out-of-door poor also received payments.  

1867

Charity Work-house removed when the Caledonian Railway was built.The poor were taken to a mansion about a mile and a half from St Cuthbert’s. This building is now the oldest part of the Western General Hospital 

1883

At this time, Dr James MacGregor was the Minister, respected and loved by his congregation. His colleague, Andrew Wallace Williamson, was a "prodigy" of 26 years old. The two men were of different generations and tastes.  

One was a Highlander and the other a Lowlander; one full of humour, the other serious and solemn but together "they pedalled the bike of St Cuthbert’s for 27 years and remained friendly".  

1893

Both men later became Moderators of the General Assembly. They created an immense and lively congregation which threw itself into the project of a new Church building.  

Parish population recorded as 65,243.  

1894

11th July. Day of dedication for the new Church. The architect was Mr Hippolyte J. Blanc. His building retained the 1775 tower and the 1789 steeple. Mr Blanc’s Church building is the present day Parish Church of St Cuthbert, the ‘Kirk below the Castle’.  

He was also the architect responsible for the designs used during the 1887-91 renovation of Edinburgh Castle's Great Hall.  





If you are researching your family history, or are interested in finding out more about the history of St Cuthbert's Church or Parish, you can find information on available resources HERE

Top 



For Website issues only, please contact :

For all Church or calendar related issues, please contact :

purple outline image of church
St Cuthbert's Parish Church. 5 Lothian Road. Edinburgh. UK. EH1 2EP


facebook
St Cuthbert's Church
facebook
soul space
facebook
OASIS
facebook
Pilgrim Way

podcast
Podcasts / Recordings

{short description of image}
YouTube videos

{short description of image}
Church of Scotland blogs

twitter
St Cuthbert's Church